Postminority Support

Do you have a minor child who is about to turn 19 and begin college? Do you have a child who is already enrolled in college, but about to turn 19? Do you have a child who is disabled and needs assistance? If so, you may be entitled to, or required to, receive or pay what is called Post-minority child support.

Post-minority child support is continuing support for a child who reaches the age of majority but still requires support. In order to receive post-minority support you must either incorporate a clause into a marital settlement agreement mentioning post-minority support, be awarded post-minority support in a dissolution of marriage or file a petition with the Circuit Court prior to the minor child reaching 19.

The difference between child support and post-minority support is that different factors are taken into consideration. Unlike child support, post-minority support takes into consideration the child’s likelihood of succeeding in their college studies, the child’s ability to contribute to their college education, the parent’s financial abilities to contribute and the relationship between the parties.

If you are considering filing a petition for post-minority support or you have been served with a petition for post-minority support, it is vital that you obtain sound legal advice regarding your options. At Richard DeWeese Attorney at Law, we can assist you in making these important decisions. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced, knowledgeable attorneys, who can advise you as to what the best options are for your situation.

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be provided is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Contact Us

  1. 1 15 Years of Experience
  2. 2 Register for a Case Evaluation
  3. 3 Schedule a Consultation

Fill out the contact form or call us at 334-239-7994 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message